WordPress Design Process
Getting Started With a New WordPress Site
This following is an overview of our WordPress Web design process.
- Discuss customers business goals and objectives with the customer.
- Establish design and marketing budgets.
- Have the custom send us an outline of the requirements and navigational structure. If they don’t have one or need help developing one, we will help with this.
- Once site requirements are submitted and approved, we prepare and submit our proposal to the customer.
- Customer accepts or rejects the proposal.
- Review and sign Service Agreement.
If the proposal is accepted, we email over the service agreement.
The service agreement will need to be signed and emailed or faxed back to us.
We require half of the payment for the design work as Initial payment. The final payment is due upon completion or on a specified date. We accept checks or major credit cards (except Discover) as payment. Payment may be made securely through our online form.
Design Specs (look and feel):
- We will require your logo in electronic format (no scans). The preferred format is Photoshop .PSD or high quality .JPG
We typically base the color scheme of the site on the logo colors. However, this is subjective and we can base it on complementary colors or colors of your choosing.
- We ask that you send us 3 or4 sites that you like and tell us what you do and don’t like about them. You may like the colors on one, the layout on the other, the ease of navigation of another and so on. This gives us an idea of the style that you like. If you have no opinion, we will design the site to industry leading professional standards.
- Once we get a good idea of what you are looking for in the design, we start on the design composition or “comp”. The “comp” is a single image, non-working representation of the site.
We publish the comp online or email to you for review.
Note: We may not deliver a comp if the design is straight forward. Comps are typically developed for customers that have very specific ideas for the design and layout.
- At this time, the customer either approves the comp for production or asks for revisions. If there is no comp, we move forward with the design.
- We may require you to preview or select theme images from our Stock Photo source. Once selected, we will purchase, download and use as part of your theme or slideshow.
WordPress Theme and Setup
We use a scalable, responsive WordPress theme that includes Woo Commerce Integration (eCommerce Solution) for our base installation. If you do not require eCommerce, this can be turned off. However, the integration is there if you ever need it to enable it.
We also install plugins that we have found to reliable and enhance the functionality, usability and security.
One extremely important factor is that we use backend visual editor that is easy for our customers to use.
When the site structure is complete, we will start on the content integration which includes written copy and page specific images, graphics, documents, etc.
All copy needs to be sent to us in electronic format such a Microsoft Word .DOC format. Images can be sent in .JPG format.
- We’ll setup your hosting account at this point so your site will have a place to reside. We’ll also setup all DNS records and pointers.
- We can register your domain name for you if you haven’t already done this.
- The hosting plan will be based on your site requirements. The business account is the most popular and can be upgraded if necessary.
- The customer will need to sign up for the hosting account online.
- Once sign up is complete, the hosting account will be online within a few hours.
Rackspace Cloud Hosting:
Houston’s Host Utilizes the Rackspace Open Stack Cloud. Rackspace delivers mission critical hosting solutions for our customers.
Easy to Grow – Get everything you need to grow, on a hybrid OpenStack cloud that scales with your business.
Easy to Manage – Plesk Control panel provides powerful management tools.
Testing and Live deployment:
Once your site is complete, we do thorough testing before making your site live.
We make every effort to make sure you have adequate time to review all aspects of your site on our development server first. After you review and approve the site, we then move it to the live hosting environment. Once live, we test again to be sure everything is perfect!
At this point, we turn the site over to you.
Once the site is live, we start on our marketing efforts including Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing and Social media consulting if you opt in for one of our affordable plans.
Keith Hickman, Director of Marketing and technology, has been working in the field of Web design and search marketing since 1995 when he was active in the online game development community.
In 1997 Keith founded Advanced Web Site Publishing, which is a full-service Web Design and search engine optimization/marketing company. In 2004, Keith brought Houston’s Host under the AWSP umbrella featuring hosting and additional web services.
In 1999 Keith earned his MCP and MSCE network engineering credentials to further understand networking and server-side management and development.
Keith is now at the forefront of the search engine optimization industry and is highly effective at SEO marketing techniques. He also consults with customers concerning Online marketing and SEO.
Houston’s Host is celebrating its 17th year as part of the AWSP family in 2019.